Quarantine diary: The pandemic’s impact on my life

I’ve only left the house once since March 5

Photo by Nathan Dumlao on Unsplash

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected me relatively little. I have only left the house once since March 5, the last day I had classes before spring break, but other than going to class or work it’s not abnormal for me to stay at home most of the time.

The biggest impact the coronavirus, or more accurately the response to the coronavirus, has had on me was that my university switched from in-person classes to online classes during my 2020 spring break, which was also extended by one week. For the second half of spring semester, I had to do all my coursework at home and I also had to do all work for my campus job at home.

The schoolwork was also a change from usual, as I had to use Zoom for class meetings or watch recorded videos. Working from home wasn’t a big change as before the pandemic I often did a lot of my work at home for my campus job. My university recently announced that classes during the fall will be a mix of in-person and online formats, so next semester is going to be different from past years.

Now that the semester is over, the pandemic has had a negligible effect on my life. The past few summers I’ve done exactly what I’m doing now: mostly watching TV and movies, reading or writing. I don’t usually go anywhere.

I work out at home in my basement. I usually do some kick boxing and I practice taekwondo, or I do bodyweight training or lift weights. I also mow the yard and do a lot of cooking.

I’m also still working remotely. The only impact is that I’ve been searching for a job to start over the summer, and I’m more hesitant in my search as I don’t know how the pandemic may affect a job search. I’ve been looking into doing freelance editing or writing, though, and I’ve spent more time writing to post content on Medium and various other platforms.

June 10 was when we produced the first 2020 summer edition of The Vidette. I worked remotely for that, which isn’t what we did last year.

Source: The Vidette | Cover photo by Alex Gant

I also started a new space on Quora called The Entertainment Hub. I created a publication of the same name on Medium.

I’ve subscribed to a few streaming services during the summer. I started with Funimation, on which I watched “Golden Kamuy,” “Fairy Tail,” “My Hero Academia, “Claymore” and “Kill la Kill.” After I let my subscription to that expire, I finally subscribed to Disney+ for the first time at the beginning of June; I got the $12.99 bundle including Hulu.

So far, I’ve watched season one of “The Mandalorian,” season three of “The Handmaid’s Tale” and I’m halfway through season seven of “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.”

One way the pandemic has impacted my life has been the production holds on TV shows I regularly watch and movies I was anticipating. In particular, “The Blacklist” had its season cut short and the episode which became the unplanned finale had about 20 minutes of animation mixed with the live action. Other shows I watch also had their seasons cut short.

Photo by freestocks on Unsplash

I’ve also been watching the news, noting how and what has been reported on. As I work at a newspaper, I stayed informed about official reports about COVID-19 cases and deaths, especially in the state and locally, as I had to edit every article that’s been posted on the site since the end of the semester.

Now, the coronavirus reporting has decreased dramatically since the protests began after George Floyd’s death. There have been protests in my county, but those also haven’t affected me, as there hasn’t been violence or looting near me, though there was some in some of the bigger stores in my area that I saw on the news.


Overall, the coronavirus pandemic hasn’t impacted me too much. I don’t know anyone who’s been infected, and I haven’t been infected. The biggest impact has been the response to the virus. Once I actually leave my home things will be very different, especially once I return to campus for class and work.


Originally published on Quora. View the rest of my posts on my profile.

Comments